To report identity theft, fraud, or misuse of your Social Security number, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, recommends that you take the following steps:

Step 1: Place a fraud alert on your credit file by contacting one of the three companies:

Equifax – 1-800-525-6285
Trans Union – 1-800-680-7289
Experian – 1-888-397-3742

The company you contact is required to contact the other two, which will then place an alert on your credit report.

Step 2: Review your credit report for inquiries from companies you have not contacted; accounts you did not open; and debts on your accounts that you cannot explain.

Step 3: Close any accounts you know, or believe, have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

Step 4: File a report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place.

Step 5: File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission online or by calling them at 1-877-438-4338 (TTY 1-866-653-4261).

Identity theft, fraud or misuse of my Social Security or Medicare card

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.